So its been a while since we have done a Blog post (Sorry) but I have been busy and it was worth it. Our production studio has had a total revamp I've took on some new exciting clients and I've built a professional sound recording booth. So to show you what I was up for the past couple of months I took a few pics. Check them out.
So this is where I was doing all of my production. It had served me well all through college but I needed a professional sound booth because of background noise. The Chord Vocal Arc was great for killing some of the mic reverb but it just didn't sound professional enough for me.
First thing I did was strip out and pack away the sound equipment. All cables had to be removed and labeled so I knew what was what, when I went to put everything back together. I then stripped out the wood work. It was custom built at the time to match the bar area on the other side of the room. Once it was stripped I had a nice blank canvas to work with.
I had some electrical to move in order to place the studding where I wanted it. I decided that I would make the booth 1m x 1m to external measurements. For the height I was governed buy the conservatory's support guttering. The maximum height allowance I had was 2m that was internal. So I marked out on the floor the space I needed and built the stud to suit. To make sure I was going to get the deadest sound possible I decided not to have any window in the booth.
As I said I wanted a total dead sound so I also went with a standard 28" flush door. I had some small electrical work to do as well. The socket that I had moved for the stud would be needed for the studio equipment, so it was moved into the stud itself. I also had to run in cabling for a light switch and light for inside the booth. I was opting for a spotlight down lighter that I could fit with an LED bulb. So studding was finished, first fixing on the electrics was done and the door was hung. Everything was nicely secured and level. Time for some plasterboard.
So once I had the internal plasterboard in place I was able to fit the rockwool insulation that would act as an extra soundproofing material for the booth. This was fitted in the side studding and in the booth ceiling. the other two external walls had been fitted with 50mm aeroboard insulation when the conservatory was being built. I know this because I built it :). I also fitted some nice molded architrave around the door frame. This would give me the straight edge I needed for the external plasterboard.
The external plasterboard was fitted along with the new socket and light switch. I didn't skim the booth for two reasons one was budget and the other was time. So I decided that a tape and fill job would be just as good on it. All screws and corners where filled and then sanded once the filler had set. I spent the best part of a day on this part so that it would look right, once it was painted. I did the same on the inside and fitted the light fitting. It was now ready for paint. But first i had to size up the new desk that I had bought online. I Knew that there would be a lot of modification to get the desk sitting just where I wanted it. There was 6" to be cut off once side and new cable holes to be drilled for the sound equipment. I also had to modify it to fit my mic stand for my desk mic.
The desk had been modified and it was time to paint. I decided to stick with the cream colour that the rest of the conservatory had been painted, but that would also need another coat. It took four coats of paint in all to get the correct finish that i was happy with. I also made a cool little cable hide under the desk using the off cut and some piano hinge that I had from the old studio door. I had bought a nice Ikea unit about 6 months ago and wanted to use it in the new setup. So in order for it to fit where i wanted it i had to cut it down by 250mm on one end. Once that was done it fitted perfect under the desk to hold by computer tower and amp for the TV surround sound. The cables for which you can see lying on the ground.
Then began the task of putting all of the sound equipment together and keeping the cables as neat as possible. I had bought a second hand Roland digital mixer that had barely been used by it's previous owner. Fitted my trusty desktop and new laptop. At this stage the studio was about 90% done. I still wanted to get a new bigger screen for the desktop and move my existing one into the booth as a levels monitor. I also had another laptop that I wanted to get in. Everything would have its place and function as the ultimate sound control centre. I also had to fit 40mm acoustic foam to the inside of the booth. This was ordered from Germany. It only took 5 days to get here and was well worth the cost.
So that's it. Our new studio and how I put it together. I'm going to put a youtube video together over the next couple of days to show people how easy it is to do and the great results it can bring. As always keep an eye on our production page for any new material we have produced. Hope you've enjoyed seeing our studio transformation and I won't leave it as long next time between blog posts.